Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be officially open to the galaxy on December 5, 2019 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Starting January 17, 2020 guests will be able to experience the attraction at Disneyland as well in California. With the opening of this attraction at Walt Disney World, there are a lot of details coming out about what guests will be experiencing.
Backstory of Star Wars: Rise of the ResistanceThere is more known now about the backstory for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. The timeline for it takes place after the Battle of Crait from Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Following that battle, General Leia Organa led what was left of the Resistance to an undisclosed location.
While this is happening, another band of Resistance supporters has also established an outpost on Batuu. A remote planet located on the edge of the Outer Rim Territories. This was thanks to the scouting of the Resistance spy Vi Moradi. Unfortunately, the First Order and Supreme Leader Kylo Ren has hunted them and landed at Black Spire Outpost in search of the Resistance fighters.
It is on Batuu and the Outer Rim where the Resistance is rebuilding in hopes of bringing freedom to the galaxy. To do this, they are seeking recruits. This is where the beginning of Star Wars: Rise of Resistance begins.
Star Wars: Rise of Resistance OverviewWhen guests experience Star Wars: Rise of Resistance, they will board a transport shuttle to join the resistance. Onnce in space, they will be captured by a Star Destroyer and pursued by Supreme Leader Kylo Ren while they desperately look for a way to escape the First Order.
Star Wars: Rise of Resistance Attraction DetailsStar Wars: Rise of Resistance will take guests on an experience like never had before. The experience will bring a new reality to the world of Star Wars as guests become completely immersed in the story. This attraction will be one of the longest Disney attraction experiences ever. It will also have quite a few surprises along the way as guests see and experience things that seemed to only be possible in the world of movies and fantasy.
The following details give a lot of information about what the attraction will be like when guests experience it. If you do not want any spoilers for the attraction, it is best to stop reading this article now. Following the photo gallery, the details of the attraction will be laid out as shared by Disney.
Join the Resistance
- Guests exploring Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge find the Resistance’s temporary encampment in the forested area along the outskirts of Black Spire Outpost on Batuu.
- The gateway to the encampment is marked by a large turret. From there, a pathway leads deeper into the forest toward towering cliffs and the crumbling remains of an ancient civilization. Guests weave through low stone walls, timeworn pillars and tight corridors as they progress farther into the base, hearing military communications chatter along the way.
- In a makeshift briefing room, Rey – a hero of the cause – appears via holo-transmission alongside dutiful droid BB-8 to welcome the new Resistance recruits. She shares a plan to reunite with General Leia Organa at an off-planet location that must be kept secret from the First Order.
- Guests then board a nearby Intersystem Transport Ship (I-TS) and have to make their rendezvous quickly to avoid a First Order Star Destroyer on its way to Batuu. They should have a bad feeling about this …
An All-Encompassing Attraction Experience
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance throws out the rulebook for traditional attraction design, eschewing and/or blending industry notions such as “queue,” “preshow” and “ride” to create a seamless, holistic experience full of rich details and breathtaking excitement on a cinematic scale.
- When guests board the I-TS, they’ll feel as if they’re lifting off the surface of Batuu and blasting into space alongside Poe Dameron in his signature black-painted X-wing starfighter, Black One.
- Before the I-TS can make the jump to lightspeed, it’s caught in the tractor beam of a Star Destroyer and pulled into a massive hangar bay.
- Guests make their escape from the Star Destroyer aboard eight-passenger First Order Fleet Transports piloted by reprogrammed R5-series astromech droids.
- The attraction features grand set pieces – including the hangar bay that is filled with 50 menacing stormtroopers and a docked TIE fighter. At various points, guests dodge blaster bolts from stormtroopers and AT-AT walkers, scurry past huge turbolaser cannons, and stumble into the Star Destroyer’s bridge.
- Throughout their journey, guests are hunted by Kylo Ren, who uses the Force in an attempt to pry from their minds the location of General Organa’s secret base. Guests feel Ren’s tremendous malevolent power as they narrowly avoid his attacks.
Authentically Star Wars
- Actors from the current Star Wars film trilogy reprise their roles for new scenes and dialogue in Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, including Daisy Ridley (Rey), Adam Driver (Kylo Ren), John Boyega (Finn), Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) and Domhnall Gleeson (General Hux). Many scenes were filmed at the same time “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” and “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” were in production.
- Poe Dameron’s X-wing is one of several vehicles from the Star Wars galaxy appearing in the attraction.
- Disney cast members adopt personalities of First Order and Resistance troops throughout the attraction to further deepen the immersive experience for guests.
- Walt Disney Imagineering worked hand in hand with Lucasfilm in writing the attraction’s script, ensuring characters and storylines were properly integrated into the broader Star Wars
- The attraction introduces a new featured character: Lieutenant Bek is a Mon Calamari Resistance officer who helps guide the Resistance recruits through their harrowing journey.
Cutting-Edge Technology Powers Immersive Storytelling
- Walt Disney Imagineering combined multiple ride systems to tell the story of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. In one sequence, a new simulator experience gives the sensation of falling from space to crash land on Batuu.
- The trackless ride vehicles in Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance are some of the most advanced ever used in a Disney attraction, with a sleek, low profile and the ability to move in all directions.
- Disney A-1000 Audio-Animatronicsfigures appearing in the attraction provide a deep level of immersive storytelling through their lifelike and dynamic movements.
- To fully realize this Star Wars story, Imagineers created thousands of special effects, from slashing lightsabers and whizzing blaster bolts to exploding walls and massive star fields – just to name a few.
Thank you to our dear friend and valued partner Mr.Daps and the Team for this article